VII - Rush of Blood


“Have you seen this Reggie? Take a look.” Geoffrey entered the study holding a copy of the local gazette, a foul excuse for a newspaper and placed it in my outstretched hand. I sipped at my coffee in the early Saturday morning light, the sunbeams bouncing off the chalice. It tickled me to see it so radiant.
                He tapped the top of the paper to get my attention pointing to a specific entry.
                Fourth body found; Tramps Beware the Reaper
                “What do you think it means? Some serial killer targeting tramps?”
                “Looks like it.” I said sipping my mug.
                After my first foray into the world of murder I had kept my targets the same as I practiced for the time when my sister arrived. The first body, that I had strangled to death was found not a day after I had completed the task. Seen as a quarrel amongst tramps, it was only a small footnote in the gazette which Geoffrey seemed to be an avid reader of. The next time I ventured out I had remembered to bring a knife as I would need not only the practice of taking life in of itself but of taking life with a blade. So I found yet another tramp in the same circumstance as the last, thankfully most tramps in my city situate themselves for easy pickings and thus I began slitting their throats. Which was a lesson in learning as well. The first victim I did not cut deeply enough as he was able to escape from me in flight down the alley seeking help. I thankfully caught up to him and instead of being delicate as I had been in my hesitation, rammed the blade deep and slashing with a jolt almost severed his spine in the motion. Where the ungodly strength I shew had come from I cannot say, perhaps it was the demon aiding me.
                The next two were easier to complete knowing then that I need not be delicate or slight in my motions. I would need to strike with ferocity and precision to accomplish my goal. After the third slit throat I believed I had mastered the motions needed. And I had formed a plan in my head for how I would go about doing the same to my sister.
 After the most recent body was found, yesterday in fact, it seems the Gazette has decided that a serial killer is loose. They are not wrong in this endeavor. I smile faintly as I read the article making sure not to show my emotion to Geoffrey lest he become disgusted by it. I do not know his sensibilities on the matter.
                “Good riddance I say.” Geoffrey says. This takes me aback. And my shock must upset him as he must think I’m taking offense to the retort. He stammers trying to back pedal. 
                “I don’t mean to offend it just that…well they…”
                “You don’t offend Geoffrey. I was simply thinking the same thing and was surprised to have you share my thought.”
                With his opinion shared in me, his resolve returns.
                “They are a blight I say. They shamble into our city, lurking amongst the darkness, smelling, thieving, and whoring around, in the women’s regard, simply making a mockery of society and under the eyes of God no less.” Geoffrey had obviously been holding this opinion in for quite some time, exasperated as he was to let the words out. And he was referring to, in the aspect of god, to the church not two blocks from our home. The tramps were seen their frequently congregating asking for favors from the patrons, whom Geoffrey was a part of.
                “God helps those who help themselves.” He said fervently. I wished to retort with some of Christ's own words on the matter but as a man betwixt belief and non, not caring about the word of god any longer, sitting in the den with a demon itching underneath my skin, I simply agreed with the man. If only he knew I was the one clearing the blight from the streets. Though I did not target them for that reason alone. True I despised them as much as the next civilized man for they are dirty and make a mockery of the societal standard but in my eyes they were simply easy prey for practice. They had no families, no connections, and as Geoffrey is now a confirmation of, a blight upon the town that though many might think the same way, would never voice.
                “I hope these events, while I don’t applaud the murder, will cause the tramps to flee our town.” Geoffrey sighed and placed his hand on his head as if the stream of thoughts had winded him. I placed the gazette on the side table and put my hand on his shoulder.
                “Things will turn up believe you me my good friend.” I said amiably. He looked up at me and smiled.
                A knock rapped thrice on the door and my blood ran cold. Geoffrey’s eyes abandoned my face and looked past me towards the doorway.
                “Elaine! It has to be.” Geoffrey declared in excitement. I stood stock still feeling the excitement and anxiety well up inside me. Through the next room and down the entryway I heard Geoffrey open the door and greet someone. I heard a faint voice travel up through the house to my ears and was reassure that indeed it was my sister. My heart raced as the image of blood flashed before my eyes. I turned and looked at the chalice.
                “Very soon now.” I whispered.
                Meeting my sister and Geoffrey in the living room I shared a fond welcome. It had been years since we had seen or spoken to one another. Upon seeing her face, the nightmare hellscape from weeks before came back to me, taking my breath away. I collapsed at once on the chair.
                “Oh my dear brother! What is this now? An illness? Or are you just that excited to see me?” Elaine knelt down next to the chair and grasped my hand in hers. Her bright blue eyes shimmered in the light. With each blink of my eyes I saw her form as it was in front of me then the bloodied ravaged face of the girl in my nightmares. I felt a sweat emerge from my skin as if I had taken a fever.
                “What’s wrong with him Geoffrey?”
                “I know not Ms. Elaine. He was fine moments ago before your arrival.”
                “It’s nothing, I’m just overwhelmed. Work has been stressful and seeing your face after so long, so many emotions rush to meet me at the surface. I can’t handle them all at once.” I reassure them as my breathing begins to calm.
                “Should we call a doctor brother?” Elaine asks brushing aside arrant strands of my hair from my face.  
                “No, I must simply rest. Help me to my room Geoffrey. I’m sorry dear sister. After a short rest I believe I will be presentable. I’m sincerely sorry.”
                “It is I who must apologize dear brother, if I had known seeing me would cause such distress, I would have wrote ahead letting you know I was in town. I figured showing up by surprise would be a welcome idea.”
                “It is indeed welcome, but my weakened constitution is to blame, not your presence. Let me rest a while and I will return to entertain you. I hope in the meantime Geoffrey will be sufficient. Hmm?” I say trying to stand. I stumble, and Geoffrey grabs my arms to steady me. They both nod towards each other and share a glance that lasts a beat too long in my opinion but for now I deign it more prudent to retire than to cajole them. Time will come for that later.
                Geoffrey places me gingerly in my bed and I wrap myself in sheets. He lights the lamp and says he will bring me water and morsel of food. Upon closing the door, I let out a sigh and the lamplight dwindles and fades to a puff of smoke. The shadows grow as I feel the beast’s presence upon me.
                “Is this your doing?” I say to it feebly.
                “My excitement was too much for you to handle it seems. I will be better at hiding it behind a veil. You have grown in your short time stealing the life from those insects but not strong enough yet to feel the full weight of my power.” The voice is less jagged and beastly as it had been before. Its starting to sound more like my own voice but it still has that ragged edge to it.
                I nod and feel a new calm emerge from me body as the chills and sweat start to subside.
                “Not long now until the trial is completed. Will you be ready?”
                “I will.” I say in a faint whisper. I turn over in my bed and feel the calm of sleep overtake me.

Next →

Comments