IX - Dream III





The western cliffs are bare. Shedding rocks and dust and sand into the ocean’s maw as the waves lap at its decaying face. Atop the cliff in clear defiance of the inevitably of being eaten by the sea a tree grows. Flowers adorn its crown looking like a woman in a silk gown peering towards the horizon looking, longing for a love lost at sea. The very sea that crashes and moans below her feet. Under the tree is a congregation of smiling patrons. A gathering of young and old, family and friend, to witness the ceremony being held under the swaying branches. A woman stands veiled, a man stands stoic, eyes trained on his prize.
                Words from the priest's mouth are silent to the pair awaiting their eternal god given connection. The wind blows and rustles the tree and the woman's gown and veil. The man’s eyes widen at the glimpse he gets of the woman beyond the veil. He thanks the wind for its assistance. The final word is said, the affirmation of love confirmed and reciprocated. The man reaches for the veil to reveal his beloved, but his hands pause as the fabric is lifted. In a shock his face is frozen in terror at what lays beneath. The woman, whose form was pure and conserved behind the slight fabric is now malformed and distorted.
                Her jaw lays slack and bloodied as if broken. Her teeth are shattered. Dark red blood pours from the wound. Clapping erupts from the congregation as the man looks on in horror.
                I sit in the back row. I am the only one present not joining in the standing ovation. My eyes grow wide as the man stands in utter shock unable to release the silk from his fingers or reveal more of the face. I blink, and we have traded places. I am now holding the veil. The soft light fabric betwixt my fingers, I remove it more from the woman’s face. I shudder with anxious anticipation. Her face is cold and pale, her eyes have grown dim and hollow. I lean in for a kiss. I taste her sweet blood on my lips. I am exploding with excitement. I hear a bell tolling. I look up at the tree casting its shadow on the two of us and witness a procession of ravens stir at the bells deep toll. At the third they scatter into the window.
                My eyes ease open. I am in my room. I lean forward and feel a wetness in my loins. Confused I reach down afraid that it is blood, or perhaps I have soiled myself in dreams. Like nights before the images fade before I can take stock of what I have seen. I retract my hand and feel the substance. It is sticky. Not blood, not urine. Ejaculate. I laugh at its presence. The beast inside me rumbles. We both have enjoyed the dream it seems.

                After my second bought of fever I emerge from my room. I greet my sister and Geoffrey who are once again sharing tea in the living area speaking quietly. This time however I am presentable and in better spirits. The night of sleep has rejuvenated me, and I can face them both with a countenance of amiability. Seeing my smile, they grow less tense. I shake Geoffrey’s hand and take my sister in an embrace.
                “Oh Reginald, I’m so glad that you are feeling well.”
                “As am I sister. As am I. Now about this engagement. Tell me everything.” I took my seat next to them and they both beamed at my question.
                Over the next hour they spoke of their blossoming love that was sparked, as I had suspected, the summer Geoffrey accompanied us to the summer lake house. At first my sister was put off by his advances but after a time she grew fond of him and they sought to write each other, in secret from me, to keep their love flame burning. Over the year, proceeding the summer stay, they wrote back and forth, and on a few occasions, unbeknownst to me, Geoffrey traveled to visit my sister and mother in my old home. At my inquiry as to the secrecy they abstained from an explanation outright but simply said they didn’t want to add a new stress to my load. Geoffrey spoke of an increasing weight on my shoulders that he could see and deemed it improper to inform me of the relation. But upon seeing my new renewed spirits he wrote to Elaine and said that now would be the best time to tell of the engagement and ask for my blessing.
                “Now that you are in greater health and have shown your blessing, we have more news.”
                “Oh? More news?” I questioned.
                “Yes, brother, we had already set upon plans to get married. Even before getting your blessing. As you know Geoffrey, with his work, will be moving abroad very soon and we hoped to become man and wife before his departure.” My sister began. I completely forgot this detail of Geoffrey’s life. He was set to leave for America in the month of July owing to his work. I would at that time have the place all to myself. I remembered that I had factored that into my first calculations. It was at first a date to look forward to so that my comings and goings would not be questioned. Now it was a deadline. I had less than a month to fulfill my trial.
                “I see.”
                “So, the preparations have been made for the wedding to take place in one week.”
                “A week?” I said placidly. I heard her words but was set upon deducing a new plan.
                “Yes. With your mother’s help we have picked a place on the cliffs in your hometown.”
                My eyes widened as a glimpse of the dream returned.
                “A cliff-side wedding.” I said slowly.
                “Yes, you know how I love the ocean.” Elaine said with a hint of childish innocence in her voice.
                “Now with your blessing we can proceed as planned.”
                “That sounds…splendid.” I say finally looking up at them. They share a glance, probably due to my lack of frustration at more secret plans but it is no matter now.
                “Great!” Geoffrey stands up and looks me in the eye. I stand to greet him in an embrace.
                “To the wedding.”
                “Yes…brother.” Geoffrey says holding me at arm’s length, face beaming.
                I look down at my sister and with each blink I see her petite beautiful from turn to a ravaged mess and back before my eyes. I feel my tongue salivate.
                “I must go then.” I say turning away to hide my emotions.
                “Go?” Elaine stands now.
                “Preparations must be made.” I say.
                “But Reggie, I’ve already said things are in order. You need not…”
                “No, no. There is still yet much to be done. On my part of course. I have a speech to write, clothes to fetch. Many, many plans are yet to be made for this joyous occasion.” I say flailing my arms in excitement. I leave them where they stand. I return to my study and pen a letter in haste, letting my work know that I will continue to be absent, a letter already being sent during my illness, for the occasion of my sister’s wedding. I sign and seal the page and present it to Geoffrey.
                “Here, please rush this to my office. I have much to do and it does not involve that place for now.” I smile and hand him the page. He receives it graciously and her turns to Elaine. He leans in for a kiss and I avert my eyes as my heart quickens. In the corner of my eye I see the sun glint off the chalice waiting patiently in the next room. A smile returns to my face. I turn back to see my sister standing waiting for me.
                “Now sister, what preparations are yet to be made?” I say taking her hand and leading her to the den. I smell her scent and feel her heart beat through my fingertips. I only need to play this charade a little longer now. Only a little longer.


Comments