VIII - Courtship



Courting death is not unlike courting love. It takes planning, luck, and the right timing to make things fall into place. And even then, there is no guarantee that things will work out the way you wish. I once spent six months courting a young woman. I met her on a trip and became infatuated within two hours’ time over drinks. We spoke of poetry, the ways of the world, and more intimate things. I vowed to write to her and one day, if things were right, I’d invite her to my home, so we could be together. The letters quickly were sent but none were returned. The feelings, no matter how strong, were not shared and the courtship failed.
                In courting death, I have found it requires an equal amount of luck and timing. I was lucky thus far in my practice sessions killing the tramps in the alleyways of my city. I left no traces, not out of meticulous practice but out of shear luck that no traces had been left. No witnesses, no inkling that I was the culprit. The time was always pristine as well. Early dusk, low-light, and in shadowed places. The instances were almost handed to me on silver platter. I had never seen such circumstances befall me in any other endeavor in my life. Be it related to finding love, having work become a success or my machinations come to fruition. All seemed to be going correctly in this new goal.
                So, when on the third day of my sisters stay with Geoffrey and I, I found that I was without a clear path to my success I was at a loss. An impasse had befallen me.
                I emerged from my room, having recovered from my stricken state to find Geoffrey and Elaine being very forward and forthcoming in their embraces. I was confused, and I assumed they could see the confusion on my face as they sat me down. Geoffrey had looked at me, then looked back to Elaine before speaking as if getting a go ahead from my sister to speak.
                “Reggie.”
                “Reginald, please.” I said correcting him. I wasn’t in the mood for his pet name for me, but I could not place why. The air in the room seemed thick with deceit.
                “Reginald, we have news.”
                “News? More murders?” I tried to play it off, guess at what they were going to say to me but I knew there was something deeper, something more divisive about to be laid upon my me.
                “No, brother, please listen.” Elaine said laying a hand on my knee. I twitched, wanting to brush her hand away but I abstained the action and simply shut my mouth.
                “There is something we must tell you. It is no surprise to me that Elaine is here on such strange occasion.” Geoffrey began. His voice was feeble as if he just came in from the cold.
                “I know, my mother wrote me, you know this. She said my sister wanted to visit.”
                “Yes, but…” Geoffrey hesitated and looked to his hands.
                “But? But what? Spit it out you bumbling fool.” I exclaimed. The fever I had just broke now returned to my face. My sister shot me a hot glance and took her hand from my knee and placed it on Geoffrey’s shoulder to steady him.
                “I knew your sister was coming to our home for quite some time before you did. I didn’t want to keep it from you, but I wasn’t sure how to engage you with the situation. I asked her to come. For you see, we are betrothed.”
                The weight of the news didn’t hit me all at once in that moment. I had suspected it from the outset. Geoffrey’s amiability towards my sister always seemed more than normal given their time together and ultimately apart. Perhaps they had courted each other in the same way I had attempted with my old flame. Letters, in secret from me, between each other until they could be together.
                Normally, I believe at least, I would have been ecstatic for them. Overjoyed at the union. Who better to serve my sister as husband than my oldest and truest friend Geoffrey? And again, who best to be my oldest friend’s wife than my straight witted and beautiful sister? They were, for all measures, a great match. But the itch under my skin prevented me from showing a smile. I’m sure to them I looked like a perturbed and flabbergasted father figure sitting as I was in the den in my lounge wear, hair still a mess from sleep, three days of hair upon my face, and a gruff, post illness scowl forming my lips. In a way I was the father figure. After the passing of our father years ago I was the sole patriarchal figure to my family. So now, it would seem, there were coming to me with their wishes for consent.
                A part of me did wish to give consent. However, the darkness in me was exploding in a fury. I had felt that no matter the circumstances Geoffrey would not become an obstacle, unless he were to unknowingly stumble upon my rituals. I would spare him. As he was not a part of the dark machinations, I would spare him outright. But now, he was forcing himself between me and my prize. Here sat my sister, young, and beautiful and ripe for the taking, and for all fate’s cruel jokes my greatest oldest truest friend had to be involved with her. I could not keep my promise. If I were to complete my trial, I would have to take them both.
                They could not know these gears turning in my head, but I could see on their faces they saw my disgust whatever the reason. Geoffrey turned to Elaine and whispered.
                “I told you we should have waited until he was ready to hear this. I’ve gone and made and enemy of my greatest friend.”
                “He hasn’t said anything, perhaps he is just mulling things over.”
                “I can hear you.” I said with gritted teeth. The idea of breaking my promise tore at my more than the idea of spilling my sister’s blood. The latter was an accepted circumstance of goals needing achievement, the former being a black stain on my human soul. I did not hate them for their secret proposals and engagement. I did not hate them for their love. I did not even hate them for sneaking around me with their plans and ruses. None of that touched a hair on my head. What infuriated me was the fact they would do this to me when all seemed to be going so well. That they, the two most important people in my life, would attempt to turn such an important and up till now simple task into such a hassle!
                I was seething. Breathing between my teeth. I turned from them and stood. I threw my hands to the side and let out a great sigh. I could only do this without facing them. Thankfully for me the demon did no have eyes on the back of my head. I wished not to hear or see their expressions.
                “Hear me now. Do not react to what I am about to say until I have left the room. I find that I am still unwell and must once again retire.”
                Silence descended upon the den. The chirping of birds came and went beyond the windows in the garden. The creaking of old wood set into old walls echoed. The beating of my heart sounded like a bellowing drum in a deep chasm. I hoped they could not hear it.
                “I consent to this.” I held up my hand to shush any excitement from this affirmation. I heard a whimper as mouths were shut tightly and breathing steadied.
                “You are the two must beloved in my life. And I am…happy to know you found each other. Now please, leave me to retire once again. Sister, I’m sorry to be ill with you present, especially with such…great news to share with me. Now please I must leave you.” I shuffled away quickly back up the stairs and shut the door hard before I could make out their quiet exclamations of excitement. In the dark of my room, now devoid of any arrant light, I felt the shadow beast tug at me.
                “Do it, kill them now, in the den while they are distracted. The chalice is there, they are there. Kill them, now!” it boomed in my head. I shook the voice away.
                “No. I will do it in due time.”
                “Why do you hesitate?”
                I peered into the mirror on my nightstand and saw the demon in the shadow hanging over my shoulder. I smiled and bared my teeth to it. My eyes widened.
                “How much sweeter will the blood be now that their love is affirmed? I shall strike them down at their height of their happiness. I will destroy what they both love before their very eyes.” I looked over my shoulder and felt the presence shudder. I flung myself upon my bed once more. My mind was aflame, and my body was fatigued.
                “I must find a way to renew my strength. I must return to my former self, for a few more days. I must…I must.”
               
Next →

Comments