The Cemetery - XV

Part 1


Amelia
cont.
As I’ve stated recalling the dreams wholesale upon waking was nearly impossible in the first month. I could only remember glimpses and feelings the persisted as my eyes opened. Glimpses of the twilight plane, the silvery figures, and the person that looked like my brother. It was only a year ago on March 5th that I can recall fully even to this very moment every beat of the dream down to every detail. I saw more than what I had previously witnessed and was shocked down to my core as to the horrors that existed.
                Upon my journey from waking to dreamful sleep I was immediately met by my brother, or the visage of him, standing in the twilight plane. All around me shifting and swaying, were the silvery creatures outlined and murmuring a dull low rumbling cadence. I could not discern words but I felt as if they weren’t trying to speak. They were simply calling out in anguish for their captivity. Before I could move close to one with my outstretched hands, as I had done many nights before in flashes I was immediately whisked away to the house. But in the transition I saw things. The faces of the dead swirling around me as the weight of motion carried me through. I felt a presence looming and my eyes searched in the chaos for my brother. I caught a fraction of his face in the tumult but it was soon dissolved into a blackness with red eyes. My eyes finally held the true visage of the creature donning my brothers face. I have since taken to drawing that creature on paper, one of which, as I’ve also stated, will be included in these writings.
                In the large picturesque home I was once again overwhelmed by the sights and the feeling of being somewhere I hoped to be in the future. Though, this hope was tainted as all things were by the hands of this shadow creature. The walls were warped, not fully created, the air was stagnant and the mist that once covered my eyes was gone revealing something that made my skin crawl. Beyond where my brother sat in the large chair I saw a shimmering cascading up from where he sat to the ceiling. I let my eyes wander up from his face, distorted into his false smile to source of the shimmering. When the creature seated before me began to ask for my acceptance and I began to refuse it the shimmer grew in ferocity. It began to shake and the mood of my brothers vessel deteriorated. A portal was opening but only large enough for a face to show amongst the shimmering. I once again saw the red eyes and gasped. This sudden jolt of emotion and fear ripped me from that place and put me once again in my bed.
                It would take me a few days to muddle out what I had seen but after talking briefly with Margaret about her demons I was sure. The creature that visited me at night was using the form of my brother as a puppet. I knew not what it wished from me in its inquiries of acceptance.
                Margaret in her infinite wisdom of years of mental oppression pulled me aside one day after tea and spoke to me in quiet tones as not to alarm the other woman. For it was normal for Margaret to speak of sleeping demons and the like but to have me, a sweet young woman, expressing the same woes, would only cause a stir.
                “What have you been seeing my dear?”
                “Seeing? Oh nothing…I…” I tried to hide it from her but her steely gaze tore through my thin veil of deceit. I could no fool this aged woman.
                “Tell me what you’ve seen. I can help you.”
                “In my dreams I’ve seen my dead brother.”
                At this Margaret sat down hard on the bench.
                “But it’s not quite your brother is it? It’s something else.”
                “It’s only dreams Marge.”
                “No! It’s much more. Promise me that the next night you have this ‘dream’ you’ll come to me after, and only me.”
                “I dare not trouble you.”
                “It is no trouble. Saving souls from demons is no trouble at all my dear.”
                And with that Margaret stood and left me in the garden with only my thoughts.
                “A demon? Surely…” I tried to dissuade myself sitting there but I could not shake the feeling that what Margaret said was the truth.


Next →

Comments