The Cemetery - III

Part 1



Mathias
24th May, 1712
It is night now, I have followed my wife to and fro around the village to capture her movements before tomorrow but to my surprise nothing of note transpired. She has collected nothing, bartered for nothing, stolen nothing. If it is a gift she wishes to present to my daughter’s grave or whomever or whatever she was speaking with she has not acquired it today.
                 Her movements were not out of the ordinary which is the most surprising aspect. She moved about town on her normal business as it would seem. I followed up with those she met meeting them by chance as I put it to see what her mood was like. They all expressed a melancholy that still hung over her which did not surprise me. Though they mentioned a hint of a return to normalcy. One man, a patron of our Inn, a merchant who often came to town on business, spoke of a glint in her eye. Some sort of flicker of hope in her soul. I do not hold to such assessments but I do hope that she will find solace in her machinations. I want my wife back.

25th May, 1712
Urgent business has called me away from town for two days. I fear for my wife’s well being but I’ve put my steward, Mr. Langley, to keep an eye on her. He will give me a full report upon my return on Monday. I hate being away from her for so long in such a trying time for her heart. I will be swift in returning my love. I promise.

28th May, 1712
Though I was delayed one day in returning I have found that I have returned to no ill happenings in my absence. My wife is still in our home and it seems she has lightened in spirits. I will meet with Mr. Langley tomorrow to converse about what went on in my absence from home. Though, I believe I will be disappointed. I’m sure nothing of note took place. My wife appears to be in higher spirits or at least the melancholia is gone from her in shades.
                For myself I feel the weight of grief expiring from my bosom. With each new day, with each new breath into my lungs I feel I can move on. The loss of my daughter was a swift and heavy strike upon my soul but with the grace of God and the renewal of my wife, I believe I can move forward.


29th May, 1712
I’ve taken refuge behind a locked door in my own home for I have a cold fear in my heart. I’ve met with Mr. Langley and the words he has spoken to me have chilled my blood.
I called him over to discuss what happened while I was whisked away and he was hesitant to enter upon coming to my door. The first words out of his mouth were: “Is the misses in?” I nodded in affirmation. My wife was indeed upstairs at the time of his arrival in her own study busy with her own business. At that response his eyes grew wide and his breathing quickened. He asked if we could speak someplace else, the inn or some other place. Despite my hesitance at his reaction I agreed and we met in a private room at my inn.
                Once the door was closed he locked the bolt and began to whisper to me in dark tones.
                “Sir, have you noticed anything strange with your wife since you’ve returned?”
                “Strange? No, she does seem in better spirits but other than that…what are you trying to say?”
                “I followed her the night you asked me to. The 25th and sir I’m not sure I have the words.”
                “What are you talking about?”
                At this Langley fell at my feet his eyes wide and hollow with fear.
                “I saw a shadow.”
                “A shadow? What is this nonsense?”
                “Your wife, was kneeling at the grave as you said she might and talking to the wind or so it seemed. I kept a close eye but distance enough to stay hidden. In the next moments I felt the air grow cold and the world grow quiet. I saw the darkness shimmer and wrap itself around her. I heard her cry out in pain and I fled. The next day I spotted her walking the streets like normal. Fearing what I saw was a fever dream I went up to hear, relieved that what I had witness must not have been real. But when I saw her eyes I knew.”
                “Knew what?”
                “That someone else is in her skin.”
                “This is all nonsense Langley and I’ll hear none of it. My wife was in grief and great pain. How dare you come to me with such absurdities. I see you are unfit to do even the simplest of tasks. “
                I left him in the Inn and returned to my home but something in what he said stayed with me. My wife had returned to the graves and her transaction, whether or not it was as Langley described, still transpired. I don’t believe in demons or shadow beasts but I had to know.
                Upon returning to my home I found my wife in my study looking over my things. She never invaded my privacy as such before and I nearly scolded her in haste for the transgression but I let her go. Something about her presence gave me pause. The way she moved the way she filled the room, it was not the same as I could remember from years past. She walked past me without a word but I caught a glimpse of her eyes as she left the room and I felt a chill run down my spine.
                I will stay in here tonight behind my locked door. The image I have burned in my brain will not give me peace. The last thing I saw before I locked my door. My wife…her pupils were gone.


Comments